Saturday, May 8, 2010

Do you ever get bored?

Nah, me either. 

Today we got up and had a kind of lazy day that involved feeding the family, the kids watching TV, Jason taking Kamu to get a haircut, Patrick's last soccer game, soccer team party, and then coming home.  Jason went out on some sort of mysterious errand that he says he can't tell me about until tomorrow.  Hmm... 

At that point, two of Patrick's friends came over so that they could play.  Kamu was supposed to be napping but ended up playing with the bigger boys outside.  It was a gorgeous day and my choices were to either grade outside or do something useful.  I watered the front garden (strawberries, peas, squash, carrots, onions, Swiss chard, lettuces, and flowers) and then decided to go into the backyard to clean it a bit.  Instead, I started picking the wild strawberries back there--and then decided to make wild-strawberry jam.

Who has time to be bored?

I've never made any kind of jam before and decided to start with this uncooked version.  I didn't get nearly enough strawberries to fill a whole jar, but we'll try it tomorrow and see how it tastes.  If it's awful, we haven't lost anything except some time and sugar.  If it's good...well, there are plenty more wild strawberries back there!

No comments: