Thursday, April 17, 2008

Raising roadkill

"Mama, come see this!"

"OK, Patrick."

"It's dead," he said, looking at the trashcan at the bottom of our driveway.

"Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that," I replied, thinking he was looking at a bug or caterpillar on the outside.

Then I looked inside. And thought "What is that furry thing in my trashcan?" And jumped back as its ear twitched and it looked up at me.

"It" was definitely not dead. Instead, it is a live possum that is in the bottom of our trashcan and who, as Christy (who is such a wonderful friend and brought us dinner last night) noticed, had given birth.






























Now, it's not a snake in the den, but it's still quite a surprise. It hisses if you stare at it for too long, so I left it alone after taking those pictures.

Y'all Yankees just wish you lived down here!

5 comments:

Jess said...

Eek.

Those are some MINI possums you have there!!

We had a possum get in with the dogs once. Not good for the possum.

Yep. We're COUNTry.

Brea said...

Ew, ew! Rodent of Unusual Size with offspring!

whatever_heather said...

Ohhhhhh I would have nightmares. Seriously, I am scared of possums like most people are scared of snakes. Those pictures gave me the willies.
Ewwwwwwwwww! What the heck do you DO with them?? Oh, I don't even want to know.

Anonymous said...

That made me jump back ...

AND IT WAS JUST A PICTURE!

Virginia said...

Oh. My. Possum. I would have jumped out of my skin!