Sunday, December 2, 2007

Emory concert

We're doing better and I'll post about that soon. I have to cover Patrick's birthday and birthday party first--he'll be 4 on Monday, can you believe it? His party was today.

Before I talk about those, I wanted to let everyone know (because Courtney reminded me that I'd forgotten to send out my customary e-mail) that I'll be performing with the Emory University Chorus* for the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols this coming weekend. The Friday concert (December 7th) is at 8 p.m. and there are two on Saturday, at 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. Patrick and Jason will be at the 5 p.m. Saturday show.

Tickets information is here. It's a Christmas concert, and only a Christmas concert, guaranteed to put you into the Christmas spirit. There are readings of New Testament scripture between songs such as Once in Royal David's City, The First Noel, and a version of Silent Night called Still, Still, Still. That last one is sung in almost complete darkness but for the candles that we carry as we ring the congregation. It is a truly amazing concert, one in which I feel very privileged to sing every year but two** since we moved to Atlanta.

I would love it if you'd be able to come. You can buy tickets there, although it does sell out most shows. There are many people who've made it a tradition every year because it is an incredible concert.

_____________________________________________

*The Emory University Chorus is open to anyone: Emory students of all levels and schools, alumni, and anyone else from the community who would like to sing. I started as a graduate student. We rehearse on Monday nights from 7:30-9:30 p.m. during each semester. I usually only sing in the fall, for Lessons and Carols, for various reasons.

**I was hired at Georgia Perimeter 4 days before the semester started last year and was assigned a Monday night class. The other time was in 2003, when I rehearsed all semester and then, the Wednesday before the concerts, Patrick decided it was time to be born--2 1/2 weeks early (I'd convinced my director that my water wouldn't break on stage, and I was right. It broke an hour and a half after I got home from dress rehearsal on Tuesday night). I felt perfectly fine to sing that weekend, but Jason and my parents wouldn't let me. They're no fun, I tell you. Patrick is known as my Lessons and Carols baby by much of the chorus.

No comments: