Friday, May 23, 2008

Deja vu, please!

Whatever I did today? Please let me keep doing it*! It was my first day of summer home with both boys and it was amazingly wonderful. We had some fun this morning before Jason left, though I must break Patrick of his habit of climbing into bed with us when he gets up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night**.

We'll ignore when Jason and Patrick, in the middle of a pillow fight, clonked heads--the back of Patrick's head on Jason's front tooth. There were some tears to soothe, but they're OK.

Then Jason left for work and the boys and I ate breakfast. For once, they both ate full and healthy breakfasts--Patrick had cantaloupe, eggs, and milk; Kamu had yogurt, Cheerios, and milk. I discovered that Kamu is reliably using the sign for "more", which is a lovely find on the heels of him saying Mama regularly. The boys played with blocks for a while. Patrick built and Kamu knocked down, and there was lots of laughter involved.

We got dressed and read another chapter of The Mouse and the Motorcycle (James and the Giant Peach is in the on-deck circle for when we're done with it), as well as Oh My, Oh My, Oh Dinosaur and Mr. Grumpy. I am so glad the "Little Miss" and "Mister Men" books are back! Patrick watched Curious George and SuperWhy while Kamu and I had some one-on-one time to play a bit.

We went to Tarjay for a pump to fix Patrick's bike tire, came home and ate lunch--and they both ate full and healthy meals again! Then we went outside and fixed the tire. Patrick rode around the bottom of the driveway for a bit and Kamu played on his riding toy while I got out the whale pool and inflated it. It needs cleaning and I've discovered that one side has a hole that needs to be found, but it won't affect the use of the pool itself even if I can't fix it.

Both boys were tired and hot, so we came inside. Kamu had a cup of water in his crib and fell asleep in about 3 minutes, while Patrick had a cup of water and Goldfish in the playroom. Patrick and I had some nice one-on-one time and read a few more books (Mr. Impossible and Mr. Tickle and the Dragon). I came downstairs to e-mail and read for a bit, fending off Patrick's repeated inquiries of "Mama, when is quiet time over?" with telling him that it would be over at 4 and if he didn't stop asking, it would be even longer. At 4 p.m., I went up to find Kamu quietly awake...and Patrick sound asleep in his bed.

We had planned on pool time after quiet time, but it's pouring right now. I've moved my flower planters out to the front steps so that they'll get watered and am happy to see that my rain barrel is collecting a steady stream from the downspout. It's cooled off enough that cooking dinner won't be torture***. My Kamu is cheerful and playful, my Patrick is asleep, and my day has been great. I'll leave you with some pictures, though they're not from today.

Patrick at his final gymnastics class of the spring.

That really is Patrick upside down--he had so much fun in his class!

Kids in the bath are so cute!
And finally, a very short video of Kamu walking! Within days of his evaluation and setting a 6-month goal of walking across the room and standing up without assistance, he was doing both. Jason and I have never seen a child walk so quickly once he started.
*I'm consciously ignoring the fact that the load of laundry that I washed and hung on drying racks this morning was forgotten until after it had been drizzling for an hour. Thankfully I got them in before it started pouring, but I'll bet they were almost dry before it!
**Of course, climbing into our bed is an improvement over finding him sound asleep on the floor outside of the bathroom with the zipper of his jammies only up to his stomach a couple of weeks ago--he was apparently too tired to make it any further!

***The 10-minute-prep-time estimate for dinner clearly wasn't meant for those who were preparing dinner while peeling carrots with an 18-month-old on one's hip. Or with said 18-month-old, having lost interest in carrot peeling, pushing a laundry basket containing two race cars and a box of granola bars into one's legs and saying "Ow!"**** Repeatedly.

****This is a word that gets used around our house a lot. See previous references of two boys, husband, two male dogs...and me.


Jess said...

Erin, they are too adorable. Really!!

I hope they keep behaving for you!!

trmills said...

It's fun to hear about an "everyday" sort of day. Enjoy your time with them, and thanks for sharing.