Monday, November 22, 2010

NaBloPoMo 22: Jason

Continuing in the long line of November birthdays in our family...today is Jason's birthday!  He's turning 29 again, or so he tells me.  I could swear he was older than that but hey, whatever.

Jason and I actually had our anniversary of starting to date on Melkamu's birthday (we don't actually celebrate this but we do remember it), and this year was 15 years that we've been together!  We met on the second day of college, although it was several months before we started dating.  I was 17 and he was 18.  One time, a friend of ours heard about when we'd met and said "You're the ones--I'd heard there was a rumor that something like that worked for someone, but I didn't believe it was true!"

Jason is an awesome person.  He makes me laugh and smile, even when I feel really down.  He's pretty laid-back about most things and really rolls with the punches.  It's hard to keep him down--he can find something good about almost anything.  He's certainly good for me when I get to feeling a little cynical about something!  It can be hard to tell when he's being serious but after 15 years, I've figured him out.  Most of the time.

He's the best dad to our kids.  He brings playtime and stories, and the kids can think of nothing better than to wrestle with Daddy in the mornings.  The only problem is that now when they work together, they can beat him!  This makes them very happy.  I once saw a picture of Jason doing volunteer work with a bunch of kids while we were in college and knew he would make a great dad.  Seeing him with our kids, though, is infinitely better than I ever knew it would be.  He's been excited about each and every one of them joining our family and learning more about being a parent, being an adoptive parent, and so on.  He's supportive of them and helps them when they need it.  Jason works with Patrick more on his math homework than I do because they really enjoy doing it together.

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful man for my husband.  We got together when we were so young and we've worked hard to grow together, to support each other and share our dreams and make them work.  There are times when we'll look at each other and say something about how we're a little too similar, and other times when we're polar opposites but compliment each other really well. 

Happy birthday, my love!  I'm so lucky to have you in my life, and so thankful for you every day!

1 comment:

Jess said...

That's funny--Ava's birthday is on our dating anniversary!! And we started dating in high school, TOO! 1999. Crazy how time flies, isn't it???

:)