Sunday, November 7, 2010

NaBloPoMo 7: Total cop-out

I completely forgot to blog today--but it's not quite midnight yet, so I didn't miss it!  Score!

It would, however, be nice if I had anything at all to write about.  But I don't.  I'm basically a lump lately.  Jason and I are going over our Bradley stuff to get ready for this baby.  It loses a little something in the "going over it" part when we've taught 20 classes in it between Patrick's birth and this pregnancy.

I don't know if I mentioned on here that I'd stopped teaching classes in the Bradley Method, though.  Honestly, I'm just burned out.  In some ways I find it very ironic.  I taught it from when Patrick was 18 months old, through more than 5 years of infertility, only to give up shortly before I found out that I was pregnant.  It got to be too much.  I usually held classes on Sunday evenings and it felt like it pretty much consumed our weekends.  I usually get home from Patrick's Sunday school around 1 p.m. and we'd generally start cleaning the house around 4 p.m. to be ready for a class from 6-8:30 or so.  There wasn't any time to relax.  There wasn't any time to do anything else.  It got to feel like more of a burden than a pleasure, and I'm sure that my teaching suffered as a result.

In the 5+ years that I taught, we had somewhere around 100 couples take our classes.  We had close to 150 babies if you include second (and even a few third) babies.  We had people tell us how glad they were that they'd taken our classes, that they learned so much and felt so prepared for the births of their children.  That's really all we could do and ask.

Maybe someday we'll go back to it.  It was a difficult decision to make but for now, I'm content with having closed that chapter.

1 comment:

Emily said...

We loved taking your class and the support you offered us! You were both such great teachers. I never could have made it through my birth without the knowledge you shared with us. I still want you to do a little write up for me when you get a chance.