Thursday, November 25, 2010

NaBloPoMo 25: Thanksgiving

In the spirit of sharing things for which I am thankful this week, I was so thankful to have fallen asleep at 7:30 last night that I completely forgot to blog!  Alas, I needed the sleep more than I needed to blog.

Today was Thanksgiving, and we celebrated with several of our neighbors.  Almost all of us are Atlanta transplants and our neighborhood has really become close.  I've described it as the "Leave it to Beaver" neighborhood before.  When Jason and I were looking for houses, we drove onto our street (actually to look at a different house) and there were...wait for it...kids outside playing on a nice summer day!  I know, we were shocked also.  I don't think we'd seen that anywhere else.  When the first house wasn't quite what we were looking for, we still knew we needed to move into this neighborhood and have never regretted it.

We had a block party last month.  A real, honest-to-goodness block party.  It was great.

We live very, very far from family.  No one is within a 6 hour drive; our immediate families are quite a long way beyond that.  When we decided that travelling for the holidays this year couldn't happen, we were thrilled to be invited to one of our neighbor's homes for the holiday.  There ended up being 20 people there (I think, if I've counted correctly).  The weather was gorgeous, so the kids spent a ton of time playing outside.  The food was absolutely phenomenal, and incredibly plentiful.  It was a wonderful, relaxing, and truly enjoyable day.

I know I've said it before, but I am so very, very thankful for having not only wonderful family members but for all of our friends here in Atlanta who have become our family over the last 8 years.  We are so glad to know all of you, and are so lucky for having you in our lives!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww! This made my heart smile! Sounds like an absolutely wonderful day and I can just picture that street filled with so much happy and yummy and warmth and love and thankfulness! Perfect day and perfect celebration.
~Courtney (still laughing about your Wednesday title--seriously)

trmills said...

I love this description of a neighborly celebration- I'm imagining you at Jim and Marcy's?