Tuesday, November 2, 2010

NaBloPoMo, day 2: Election Day

I'm going to vote on my way home from work today, in about 30 minutes.  Is it common that kids have no school on Election Day?  I don't remember having the day off.  Patrick had today off and so Jason took the day off with him. 

My polling place recently changed, which is nice because the old one was less user-friendly than the new one.  I only wish the potential candidates were changed.  I can't even call the choice between the gubernatorial candidates choosing between the lesser of two evils, because it's embarrassing that they're the best Georgia has to offer.  On one hand, we have the ex-governor who was voted out a while ago for a myriad of legitimate reasons; on the other hand, we have the soon-to-declare-bankruptcy candidate who has a host of other bad qualities and policies.  That, folks, is the choice I get to make.

Siobhan asked about some of the ways that it's different living in the north vs. the south.  I will say that my perspective is different on both places because I've lived my whole adult life in the south, so almost all of my political experience has come with conservative southern politics; however, my developmental years were in the north and my political leanings are certainly more liberal than most people down here.  Jason likes to ask me if I'm "going to go out and throw away my vote" when it's Election Day.  Pretty much, but at least I'm having a say. 

Maybe I'll vote Libertarian. It wouldn't be the first time. I took a political quiz one time and ended up in the quadrant between Democrat and Libertarian, and that seemed to be a pretty accurate fit.

Yessir (or ma'am, as the case may be), politics here is certainly challenging.  I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind gets into it.

No comments: